Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Best Of New/ Old Stuff


Over at my friend Philbert's masterful site "INTESTOONS" (right rail, click on it!), there is an interesting discussion going on about the best albums released in 2007. I, of course, had to put in my two cents as well as many others.
Each year in December I do this, and each year I usually struggle to find 10+ REALLY GOOD albums.
BUT...I can usually name a good 20+ OLDER albums that I have either been introduced or re-introduced to by friends, or discovered by chance, that are excellent. For those that I haven't heard before I usually end up wondering how the hell I missed them the first time around, and the others are favorites I used to like long ago and have had a sudden 'urge' to listen to again.
So I offer up to y'all my list of re-discovered gems NOT released in this calendar year. Of course, this is just a partial list:

THE ZOMBIES, ODYSSEY AND ORACLE
XTC, WASP STAR (APPLE VENUS, VOL #2)
THE WONDER STUFF, NEVER LOVED ELVIS
UNDERWORLD, DUBNOBASSWITHMYHEADMAN
THOMAS DOLBY, THE FLAT EARTH
MOBY GRAPE, MOBY GRAPE
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, FLOOD
THE THE, MIND BOMB
A3, EXILE ON COLDHARBOUR LANE
THE BAND, MUSIC FROM BIG PINK
BELLE AND SEBASTIAN, DEAR CATASTROPHE WAITRESS
BEN FOLDS, ROCKIN' THE SUBURBS
BIG STAR, #1 RECORD/ RADIO CITY
CHINA CRISIS, WORKING WITH FIRE AND STEEL
DEATH IN VEGAS, THE CONTINO SESSIONS
THE DOORS, THE DOORS
FRANK ZAPPA, HOT RATS
GOMEZ, IN OUR GUN
THE HOUSEMARTINS, THE PEOPLE WHO GRINNED THEMSELVES TO DEATH
THE SMITHS, THE QUEEN IS DEAD

...............................your turn..............................

No comments: