Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HELP!


Someone needs to talk me out of purchasing Jeff Wayne's "War Of The Worlds" prog-disco double album that came out in 1977. As many of you know, I go through some pretty weird "progressive rock" stages. It's a sickness, I know I know. But this particular album is so much more: the Richard Burton narration, the story of the evil alien tri-pods, the orchestral disco flourishes, the 12 plus minute long extended "suites"...it goes against everything I believe in as a so-called music snob, but...but...there's something enticing there that I can't put my finger on. Moody Blues meets the Bee Gees meets ELO meets Thin Lizzy meets Rick Wakeman shouldn't appeal to me. I only played Dungeons and Dragons for a very tiny amount of time in my early teens and played bass in a Rush cover band for just a few weeks until the odd time signatures of "The Trees" forced me to abandon that particular folley...so why do I suffer these relapses?

Someone talk me down, please!?!?!

ps: Since I do these blogs in advance (usually one or two weeks worth in a two or three hour burst on the weekends) I may have already succumbed to this dreadful disease. If I did please feel free to conduct an intervention...

2 comments:

RumpRoast said...

Actually, I'm sort of curious to see just how low you'll go

John McClellan - 4 Minutes Of Fame said...

Put on "Black Rose" by Thin Lizzy and everything will straighten it self out...