Wednesday, November 26, 2008

HELP!


Someone needs to talk me out of purchasing Jeff Wayne's "War Of The Worlds" prog-disco double album that came out in 1977. As many of you know, I go through some pretty weird "progressive rock" stages. It's a sickness, I know I know. But this particular album is so much more: the Richard Burton narration, the story of the evil alien tri-pods, the orchestral disco flourishes, the 12 plus minute long extended "suites"...it goes against everything I believe in as a so-called music snob, but...but...there's something enticing there that I can't put my finger on. Moody Blues meets the Bee Gees meets ELO meets Thin Lizzy meets Rick Wakeman shouldn't appeal to me. I only played Dungeons and Dragons for a very tiny amount of time in my early teens and played bass in a Rush cover band for just a few weeks until the odd time signatures of "The Trees" forced me to abandon that particular folley...so why do I suffer these relapses?

Someone talk me down, please!?!?!

ps: Since I do these blogs in advance (usually one or two weeks worth in a two or three hour burst on the weekends) I may have already succumbed to this dreadful disease. If I did please feel free to conduct an intervention...

2 comments:

RumpRoast said...

Actually, I'm sort of curious to see just how low you'll go

John McClellan said...

Put on "Black Rose" by Thin Lizzy and everything will straighten it self out...