Saturday, January 26, 2008

"You Have Your Entire Life To Create Your First Album" Best Debut Albums Of All Time!

I humbly offer you Uncle E’s picks for the greatest debut albums of all time. I will no doubt leave off your favorite, so rant away in the comments section!

In no particular order:

The Clash, The Clash
Joe Jackson, Look Sharp!
Nick Lowe, Jesus Of Cool
The Who, The Who Sings My Generation
Jimi Hendrix, Are You Experienced?
Joy Division, Unknown Pleasures
The Stooges, The Stooges
The Doors, The Doors
ABC, Lexicon Of Love
EELS, Beautiful Freak
A3, Exile On Coldharbour Lane
The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground and Nico
Jesus and Mary Chain, Psychocandy
Ramones, Ramones
The Stone Roses, the Stone Roses
Elvis Costello, My Aim Is True
The Cars, The Cars
English Beat, I Just Can't Stop It!
The Specials, The Specials
Pink Floyd, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Massive Attack, Blue Lines
The Smiths, The Smiths
AIR, Moon Safari
Moby Grape, Moby Grape
Oasis, Definitely Maybe
Miles Davis, Birth Of The Cool
Dead Kennedys, Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Television, Marquee Moon
Supergrass, I Should Coco
Big Star, #1 Record
George Harrison, All Things Must Pass

5 comments:

Holly A Hughes said...

Some awfully fine records in that list! I remember how exciting it was with Elvis C and the Clash and the Specials and the English Beat and Joe Jackson all coming out, it seemed right on top of one another -- every time I walked into a record store, there was a good chance I'd walk out with some new classic under my arm. (Ah, the pleasure of a new 12-inch vinyl LP...) But lest we get hung up on nostalgia, I got much the same feeling a year or so ago when the Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, and Fratellis all put out brilliant debut albums within the space of a few months. It gave me faith in music all over again.

Now you need to do another one on which of those bands actually lived up to the promise of those debuts!

Uncle E said...

Yes, I am certainly old enough to remember vinyl. The smell of a new vinyl album is still a very vivid memory for me. I also like the Arctic Monkees debut, but haven't yet let it 'ferment' for long enough to be able to make a qualified judgement.
And great suggestion for a follow up post, Holly.
Thanks for readin'!

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

A fine, fine list. I would toss in The dB's "Stands for Decibels" and The Pretenders. "The Pretenders." Maybe 'cause I've spent the day listening to the old stuff.

Uncle E said...

Surprised you didn't mention the Pistols, Thom!

PHILIP FOUNTAIN said...

Mo argument from me on most of those choices...The Pretenders, as Mr. G noted, has to be included. I would also put "Saturate Before Using" by Jackson Browne, "Alive On Arrival" by Little Stevie Forbert, "Five Leaves Left" by Nick Drake,"Waiting For The Electrician, Or Someone Like Him" by the Firesign Theater, "Safe As Milk" by Captain Beefheart, "Freak Out" by The Mothers and stretching things a bit, John Lennon's first "real" solo album (Plastic Ono Band) was brilliant. (I know, you Beatle freaks, "Two Virgins," "The Wedding Album," "Live Peace In Toronto" and "Life With The Lions" were all released first...but, really...POB was the REAL LP.)