Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Albums Released In 1984


Notice I took off the "Great" bit? Just thought it would be more interesting to have you folks bash it out tellin' each other what you think. I included a couple of real clunkers in this one. Can you spot them? 1984 seems to be the start of the decline of "the New Wave", with sub par releases from some of the genres once-top artists...



Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves
Replacements, Let It Be
Nick Cave, From Her To Eternity
U2 - Unforgettable Fire
John Prine, Aimless Love
The Minutemen, Double Nickels On The Dime
The Smiths, The Smiths
Nick Lowe, Nick Lowe And His Cowboy Outfit
Prefab Sprout, Swoon
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome To the Pleasuredome
Talk Talk - Its My Life
Bruce Cockburn - Stealing Fire
Alphaville - Forever Young
Style Council - My Ever Changing Moods
Stranglers - Aural Sculpture
Waterboys - A Pagan Place
Art of Noise - Who's Afraid of the Art of Noise
Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth
Jazz Butcher, Sex And Travel
Icicle Works - The Icicle Works
Aztec Camera - Knife
R.E.M. - Reckoning
The Alarm - Declaration
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.
Orange Juice - The 3rd Album
Nash the Slash - American Bandages
Elvis Costello - Goodbye Cruel World
Prince - Purple Rain
Tones On Tail, POP
The Cult, Dreamtime

5 comments:

Nik said...

Again, I was 12 in 1984, so my lapse in taste is understandable, but I remember vividly joining one of those Columbia House tape clubs and among the albums I bought were 1984 gems such as....
Chicago "17"
Madonna "Like A Virgin"
Wham! "Make It Big"
The Jacksons "Victory"
Weird Al Yankovic "In 3-D"

Looking back, it's a miracle I survived, really...

Uncle E said...

Nick, I wasn't much older, 16, in 1984 and my taste wasn't all that and a bag of chips either, but it was developing.
Thanks for the comment, and nothing wrong with a 14 year old purchasing a Weird Al record. Quite normal, really...

Nik said...

See, with a name like "Uncle" I just assumed you were in your fifties, doddering about the porch with your tobaccy and straw hat...

Say, Did you see this? You sir are ahead of the curve:

http://blog.allmusic.com/2008/07/31/allmusic-loves-1984/

Uncle E said...

I may only be 40, but after 21 years in the newspaper biz I feel more like 50...maybe even 60, but it depends on the day!

Mark said...

Hey, where's David Bowie's Tonight??? Oh, that's right, it's probably the worst album he's ever put out. I love Bowie, but on Tonight it doesn't even sound like he's trying.