Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Amazon 1,985, iTunes 0

Are you folks aware of the deals Amazon.com is offering on their MP3's? No? Well, let me tell ya, they've upped the ante on digital download deals and it's quite possible that I'll rarely use iTunes again as long as they keep it up.
They're offering the "MP3 Daily Deal", where you can download a complete album for as low as $1.99! They're not, for the most part, stinkers either. I downloaded The Police's Synchronicity for for my wife, and Rocket To Russia for myself, both costing a mere $1.99 each for the entire album.
They have priced most albums at $8.99, a whole dollar cheaper than iTunes, and while that doesn't sound like a lot, it makes a difference when you purchase as many as I do.
Amazon is also offering thousands of complete album downloads for $5.99 or less. For example, I just downloaded the remastered version of "The Birth Of The Cool" by Miles Davis for a flat $5.00. What a friggin' steal! iTunes is offering it for, you guessed it, $9.99.
iTunes better get it's act together and start competing or they're gonna see their market share dip fast.

Competition is a good thing.

2 comments:

Frank K said...

That's awesome news! And I already thought Amazon was MUCH better than iTunes for downloads, so this just makes it that much better.

Uncle E said...

Yeah, ain't it tho? The best of Talking Heads is today's, but any Talking Heads fans would already have it...